Who to contact

Advisors for the linguistics major and minor

The undergraduate advisor for the Linguistics major is Dr. Tonia Bleam. The advisor for the linguistics minor is Dr. Peggy Antonisse; Dr. Antonisse can also provide advising for the major.

The very best way to contact your advisors is by email:

When you email your advisor to set up a meeting, make sure to include in your email a list of your available dates and times for the entire week (that is, the five weekdays following the day you send your message). If you have sent an email and haven't heard back in 2 days, please send another email.

Linguistics advising does not cover questions about College (Arts and Humanities) or University requirements. Those questions can be addressed through the ARHU advising page. Use their contact page to make appointments. The ARHU Office of Student Affairs is at 1102 Francis Scott Key Hall (301-405-2088).

Other contacts

If you have an urgent matter, and cannot reach the undergrad advisor or someone helping out with advising, you may contact with Kim Kwok, the Linguistics Dept administrator (kkwok AT umd_DOT)edu, or (301) 405-6901). Keep in mind that you alone are responsible for informing yourself about and for following all requirements and procedures necessary to receive your undergraduate degree.

Undergraduate mailing list

Linguistics has a mailing list for undergraduates. If you're a Linguistics major, you should make sure to be on the list. If you don't, you're going to miss important announcements. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or post to the list, go to this Web page.

The Office of Information Technology documentation includes a Basic Guide to Listserv with more information about subscribing, unsubscribing, posting, etc. Those who truly want all the gory details can look at L-Soft's detailed information for Listserv list users.

Contacts in a crisis

If you are a linguistics student, and are having a personal or emotional or academic crisis, please talk to someone.

The main role of the academic advisor for undergraduates in Linguistics is to help students with departmental matters, and to point them to the right people for academic issues at the ARHU or University level. But another part of the advisor's job – and the job of every faculty and staff member on this campus – is to help students get the help they need. If you can't figure out who the right "someone" is to talk to, then talk to an undergraduate advisor and we'll help you figure it out.

Unfortunately it is very common for students (and people in general!) to engage in denial about problems they're facing, to not recognize the early signs of psychological difficulties, or to feel uncomfortable getting help for cultural reasons. You probably don't realize it, but there are a lot of people on this campus whose job it is to help you deal with things. All day, every day. It's what they're paid to do. Use them.

You will find a lot of those people at the University Counseling Center, including psychological and career counseling (x47651), disability support (x47682), and assistance with academic skills (x47693). There's also the university's Mental Health Service; the Family Service Center (x52273); the Career Center (x47225), and of course the Health Center (x48180). All that and more can be found in the Guide to Student Services.

But again, if you're so totally overwhelmed you don't know who to talk to, talk to someone, and if you like, let it be one of us.