Extensive List of Hornstein's Publications
- Chomsky and His Critics (forthcoming) (co-edited with Louis
- Move! A Minimalist Theory of Construal (2000), Blackwell, Oxford.
- Working Minimalism(1999) (co-edited with S. Epstein), MIT Press,
- Logical Form: From GB to Minimalism (1995), Blackwell, Oxford.
- Verb Movement (1994), (co-edited with D.W. Lightfoot), Cambridge
- As Time Goes By:Tense and Universal Grammar (1990), Bradford
- Logic as Grammar: An Approach to Meaning in Natural Language
(1984) Bradford/MIT Press, Cambridge, MA (Chapter 2 reprinted in Meaning
and Truth: Essential Readings in Modern Semantics, J. Garfield ed.
(1990) Paragon House).
- Explanation in Linguistics (1981) Longmans, (co-edited with
D.W. Lightfoot) [Japanese edition 1988].
- On Control. (forthcoming), in R. Hendriks (ed.), Contemporary Grammatical
Theory, Blackwell, Oxford.
- Does Every Sentence Like This Exhibit a Scope Ambiguity? (forthcoming)
in W. Hinzen (ed.), Belief and Meaning.
- Empiricism and Rationalism as Research Programs.(forthcoming) in J.
McGilvray (ed.) Papers on Chomsky, Blackwell, Oxford.
- Minimalism and Quantifier Raising. (1999) in Working Minimalism.
- Introduction to Working Minimalism. (1999) in Working Minimalism,
(with S. Epstein).
- Noam Chomsky. (1999) entry in The Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- The Empty Category Principle.(1995), (with Amy Weinberg) in G. Webelhuth
ed. Government and Binding and the Minimalist
Program, Blackwell, Oxford.
- Introduction to Verb Movement. (1994) in Verb Movement,(with
D.W. Lightfoot), Cambridge University Press.
- Secondary Predicates in Russian and Proper Government of PRO.(with
S. Franks), (1992), Proceedings MIT conference on Control, Control
and Grammar, Kluwer.
- The Nature of Lexical Government. (1991) (with David Lightfoot), Principles
and Parameters in Comparative Grammar, R. Freidin ed. MIT Press.
- Bound and Referential Pronouns.(1991) (with J. Aoun) in Logical
Structure and Linguistic Structure, C.T.J. Huang and R. May eds.,
- Meaning and the Mental: the problem of semantics after Chomsky. (1989)
in Reflections on Chomsky, ed A. George, Basil Blackwell.
- Levels of Meaning.(1987) in Proceedings of Hampshire Conference
in Modularity in Knowledge Representation and Natural Language Understanding,
J. Garfield ed. MIT Press/Bradford Books.
- A Montrealer Seder.(1981) in William Novak and Moshe Waldoks ed, The
Big Book of Jewish Humor, (with Elan Dresher and J. Lipa Roth),
Harper and Row, New York.
- Introduction to Explanation in Linguistics. (1981) ( with D.W. Lightfoot),
- The Problem of Meaning in Natural Language; three approaches to tense.
in Explanation in Linguistics (see Books).
- Current Issues in Gastronomy. (1978) (written jointly with Elan Dresher)
in Lingua Pranca ed J. Ernst and E. Smith, IULC Bloomington.
Published Papers and Reviews
- PRO Gate and Movement. (2001),University of Pennsylvania Working
Papers in Linguistics, (with H. Kiguchi).
- Resumption, Movement and Derivational Economy. (with J. Aoun and L.
Choueri) (2001), Linguistic Inquiry 32, 3: 371-403.
- Existential Constructions" (2000), BRAZIL Jl for Mary.
- On A-Chains: a reply to Brody. (2000), Syntax.
- Movement and Chains. (1999), Syntax, 99-127.
- Movement and Control. (1999), Linguistic Inquiry, 69-96.
- The State of the Article: On Control. (1997), Glott International,
volume 2.8, The Hague.
- Integral Predication. (1995) (with S. Rosen and J. Uriagereka), Proceedings
of WCCFL 13.
- Putting Truth into Universal Grammar. (1995), Linguistics and Philosophy.
- An Argument for Minimalism: The Case of Antecedent Contained Deletion.
(1994), Linguistic Inquiry, 455-480.
- Review of Terence Parsons' Events in the Semantics of English. (forthcoming)
Mind and Language.
- Control in Modern Greek. (1993), Proceedings of NELs 23, (with S.
- A Pronoun in Modern Greek. (1993) Natural Language and Linguistic
Theory, (with S. Varlokosta).
- Psych Verbs in Modern Greek. (1992), Proceedings WCCFL 11,
(with S. Varlokosta).
- Bound and Referential Pronouns. (1991), (with J. Aoun) in C.T. James
Huang and R. May eds. Logical Structure and Linguistic Structure,
- Expletives: a Comparative Study of English and Icelandic. (1991) Scandinavian
Working Papers in Linguistics, Lund.
- A Primer on Pro (and other empty categories) (1991), Journal of
Psycholinguistic Research, 20.3 187-198.
- Some Aspectualities of the Theory of Syntax. (1990), Behavior and
Brain Science (with B. Elan Dresher).
- Selecting Grammars. (1990), Behavior and Brain Science.
- The Necessity of LF. (1990), The Linguistic Review, 7.2. (with
- Verb Raising in Icelandic Infinitives. (1990), Proceediings of
the 20th annual meeting of NELS.
- Governed PRO. (1989), McGill Working Papers in Linguistics
(with S. Franks)
- Logical Form - Its Existence and Its Properties.(1988) (with A. Weinberg)
in Annali di Ca'Foscari, Rivista della facolta di lingue e letterature
straniere dell'universita di venezia, estratto xxvii, 4, 1988.
- Review of Knowledge of Language, by Noam Chomsky. (1988), Philosophical
Review, XCVII.4 (October).
- The Heartbreak of Semantics. (1988), Mind and Language. 3.1.
- Restructuring and Interpretation in a T Model. (1988) The Linguistic
Review, Vol. 5 (published 1988 in volumes for 1985-6).
- A Certain' as a Wide Scope Quantifier: a reply to Hintikka. (1988),
Linguistic Inquiry, 19.1.
- Two Notions of Locality. (1988) (with J. Aoun, D. Lightfoot, and
A. Weinberg) Linguistic Inquiry, 18.4.
- Review of Language, Sense, Nonsense, by G.P. Baker and P.M.S. Hacker,
(1987), Philosophical Review, XCVI.3 (July).
- Predication and PRO.(1987) Language, Vol. 63.1, (with D. Lightfoot).
- Superiority & Generalized Binding. (1986) Proceedings of NELS
1986 (with Amy Weinberg).
- Pragmatics and Grammatical Theory. (1986) CLS Proceedings of parasession
on pragmatics. Reprinted in A. Kasher ed. Pragmatics:Critical
Concepts, 1997, Routledge, London and New York.
- From Icon to Symbol: Some Speculations on the Evolution of Natural
Language. (1986), (with R. Brandon) Philososphy & Biology.
Vol. 1.2 pp.169-189
- Review of Situation & Attitudes by J. Barwise and J. Perry. (1986),
Journal of Philosophy, March, pp. 168-184.
- Quantifiers Types. (1985), Linguistic Inquiry 16.4 (with J.
- The Primary/Secondary Quality Distinction: Berkeley, Locke, and the
Foundations of Corpurcularian Science. (1984), Dialogue, XXIII,
pp. 28l-303 (with A. Davidson).
- Grades of Nativism. (1984) Behavioral and Brain Sciences, Vol.
- The Interpretation of Quantifiers in Natural Language.(1984) Synthese.
- Foundationalism and the Indeterminacy of Translation.(1982), Social
- Review of Philosophical Perspectives in Artificial Intelligence. (1981),
Journal of Philosophy, Vol. 78.7.
- Case Theory and Preposition Stranding. (1981), Linguistic Inquiry,
12.1, pp. 55-92 (with A. Weinberg).
- Some Aspects of Wide Scope Quantification.(1980), Journal of Linguistic
Research Vol. l.3 (with J. Aoun and D. Sportiche). pp.69-95.
- Trace Theory and NP Movement Rules. (1977), Linguistic Inquiry,
Vol. 10.l (with B. Elan Dresher).
- Software Systems, Language, and Empirical Constraints. (1977), Behavior
and Brain Science, Vol. l.l (with S. Cushing).
- Reply to Winograd. (1977) Cognition 5, pp. 379-392, (with B.
- Reply to Schank and Wilensky. (1977) Cognition 5 pp. 147-149,
(with B. Elan Dresher).
- Towards a Theory of Tense. (1977) Linguistic Inquiry, Vol.
- S and the X' Convention. Linguistic Analysis, (1977) Vol. 3.2,
- On Some Supposed Contributions of Artificial Intelligence to the Scientific
Study of Language. (1976) Cognition 4, pp.32l-398, (with B. Elan
Invited Papers and Conference Papers
- "On Control," (invited lecture), Brazilian Linguistics Association
(ABRALIN) , Brazil, May 2001.
- "Pronouns," (invited lecture), Conference on Pronouns,
USC, May 2001.
- "On Control," (two lectures), Zentrum fur Sprchwissenshaft,
Berlin March 2001.
- "Obviation as Anti-Control", GLOW, Vittoria, Spring
- "More on Sidewards Movement", U Conn. Spring 2000.
- "Sidewards Movement", MIT, October 1999/Georgetown
- "Move versus Attract", (two lectures) USC 1999.
- "Is the Binding Theory Necessary", USC, February
- "Subject Control and Parasitic Gaps", USC, February
- "On Chains", Kyoto University, November 1997.
- "0-Operators", Sophia University, November 1997.
- "The Autonomy of Syntax", Keio University, November
- "Scope and A-Movement", Japan English Society,
- "Control", Kanda University, November 1997.
- "Chains and QR", Yale University, Spring 1996.
- "Chains and Derivations", Keynote address Penn Linguistic
Colloquium, Fall 1996.
- "QR and LF", Princeton University, Fall 1996,
- "Truth and Universal Grammar", Carleton University,
- "The Language Instinct", Carleton University, February
- "Three Lectures on Minimalism", Max Planck Institute,
Berlin, October 1994.
- "Minimalism and LF", Five Lectures at Brazilian Linguistics
Association (ABRALIN), Salvador, Brazil, September 1994.
- "The Fall of QR", February 1994: University of Southern
California, March 1994: Concordia University, October 1994: University
- "Binding Linking and Weak Cross Over", March 1993, Rutgers
University, October 1992, University of Pennsylvania.
- "One Cheer for Minimalism", March 1993, Jersey Syntax
Circle/ March 1993, University of Pennsylvania.
- "Comments on Platzack" October 1992, Historical Syntax
Conference, U of Penn.
- "Binding, Linking and Weak Cross Over", March 1993, Rutgers/
October 1992 U of Penn.
- "One Cheer for Minimalism", March 1993, Jersey Syntax
Circle, Rutgers University/ March 1993, University of Pennsylvania
- "Putting Truth into Universal Grammar", October 1992,
University of Delaware, Novemeber 1992, Johns Hopkins,
December 1992 University of Utrecht, and March 1993 University
- "On What there Is", April 1992, University of Southern
- "Folk Psychology as a Research Program", April 1991, University
- "LF and Logical Form", November 1990, North Carolina
- "Language, Evolution and its Discontents", Princeton
University, March 1990.
- "Tenses", Cornell University, March 1990.
- "Sequence of Tense and the Structure of Infinitival relative
clauses", invited paper, MIT conference on tense March
- "A Primer on PRO", invited paper CUNY conference on
processing March 1990.
- "Governed PRO", invited paper, Conference on Control,
MIT, April 1989.
- "Sequence of Tense" University of Toronto, March
- "The Cognitive Relevance of Linguistics," Albright
College, March 1989.
- "Governed PRO" McGill University, Feb. 1989.
- "Sequence of Tense and the Locus of Interpretation" Tilburg
Conference on LF, Tilburg, the Netherlands November 1988 (invited
- "Grammar, Meaning and Indeterminacy", Chomsky Workshop,
Tel Aviv University and the Van Leer Institute, Tel Aviv and Jerusalem,
- "Comments on Stitch", Pacific Division Meetings of
the American Philosophical Association, Portland, April, 1988.
- "The Heartbreak of Semantics", June 1987, invited paper
at Society for Philosophy and Psychology meetings, San Diego.
- "The Necessity of LF", GLOW conference, April 1987,
Venice (with A. Weinberg).
- "On the Nature of Lexcial Government", LSA meetings,
New York, December 1986 (with D. Lightfoot).
- "LF, Superiority and MIGs/Pilots" NELS conference
MIT fall 1986 (with A. Weinberg).
- "Is Language Vast?" Conference on Methods, Spring
- "Mind and Meaning: Semantics after Chomsky", Madrid May
- "Pragmatics and Grammatical Theory", Chicago Linguistics
Society, April 1986.
- "Tense and the Language Faculty", Chicago Linguistics
Society, April 1986.
- "Two Notions of Locality", Princeton University,
- "The Current State of Meaning Theory" Duke University,
- "Linguistic Variables", Princeton University, November
- "Levels of Meaning", Hampshire College, Conference
on Modularity, invited paper. June 1985.
- "Two Notions of Locality", University of Mass., Amherst,
- "On the ECP", University of Southern California,
- "Levels of Meaning", University of California Irvine,
- "Where is Logical Form", University of Ottawa,
- "Against Predication", MIT April 1984.
- Commentator on "The New Nativists Tricks," Eastern
Meeting of the APA, December 29, 1982.
- "Quantifier Types", North East Linguistic Society Meeting,
Montreal November 5, 1982.
- "The Ethics of Realism", Columbia University Society
of Fellows. 1982 (with C. Larmore).
- "Quantifiers", McGill University, Fall 1981.
- "Quantification in Natural Language" University ofUtrecht,
- "Marx on Rights", Conference on Methods at New School
for Social Research, Fall 1980 (with S. Morgenbesser).